Interview planning- execution- reflection

 I completed all of the 4 interviews on 22nd February and I must say I felt such pride and accomplishment. The open-ended structure of the course sometimes makes me feel like im going around in circles, so the organisation and time scale structure of a Gantt chart has been very helpful. I also finished annotating the recorded interviews today so I feel well on my way to the analysis process!

Reflection
Deciding to distribute the questionnaires first was a useful change to my initial plan, some of the data I expected to obtain wasn't clear or detailed enough for analysis, therefore the questionnaire results altered my interview questions. In addition because I didn't get as many responses to my questionnaire I decided to interview 4 people rather than 2 like I initially planned.

 I also decided to write 'Notes for Participants- Please think about the emotions and feelings you had attached to the experiences you describe as a dance captain. Also try to expand on your responses to the questions by indicating why or because of what you feel that way. I would advise you to write a few notes next to the questions especially if a particular story or experience come to mind. I want the interview to be a calm and pleasant experience for both of us so if you feel uncomfortable answering any of the questions just say ‘pass’ or ‘I would rather not say’ If you  feel like talking more about a particular element of my inquiry communicate this with me during the interview.'
I felt this was necessary to add to the 'overview of interview questions' sent to the participants so they have a clear direction of the style of my interview and the information I am looking to obtain. I found this was successful.

Establishing the context for the first 5 questions of the interview helped to put the participant at ease and allow me to get perspective from their life experience and situation as a dance captain:
Background- At what age did you start your professionally training as a dancer, where and in which genres? Do you have any other qualification such as dance exams, A-levels or degrees which you believe have aided you in your professional practice and why?
Setting and environment- Can you describe the industry and name of the production where you became dance captain and what were the genres of dance?
Framework- What length of time were you a dance captain for this show and how long has the show been running for?
CircumstancesCan you outline all your responsibilities and duties as a dance captain?


Comments

  1. Hi Nicole
    I believe quite a few of us will have to make "small changes" to our initial plan as this is a new experience for most of us and we learning as we go.
    We do need to adapt and "move on" with whatever happens. I don't think you can rely on contributions just because a participant agree to do the questionnaires/surveys/ interviews etc. Sometimes people are just so busy when you need them.
    Your notes to participants sounds like they worked well for you and it is a good idea to have such clear plans and then a freer approach if you feel the participant needs more flexibility to get honest answers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Theory- Task 2c

Task 1A -Professional Profile/ CV

Reflecting on my module 2 inquiry planning process