The power of collaboration- perspective of my inquiry module 3.

As suggested by Adesola's blog I watched the TED YouTube video about 'The Power of Collaboration.' with Dr. Shelle VanEtten de Sanchez

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=387&v=VmQVNE-MbKI


Networking is not always an easy task but it is so important to continue to get work as a freelance dancer. I never really saw it as a collaboration till I watched this video. The talk has encouraged me to look deeper into collaboration in relation to my inquiry: How do dance captains collaborate? Why is collaboration important? How can collaboration be improved?

Dr. Shelle offered 5 essential tips which I have found really helpful...

1. Let go of your ego, let other people edit my ideas. In my professional practice as a freelancer dancer I believe I am good at adapting to change in each job I do and listening to suggestions how to make myself better.
2. Practice makes perfect, we can learn and practice and perfect how to collaborate as it is an ongoing process. During the data collection especially interviews the participant identified  they collaborated with the entertainment manager, choreographer, directer ect. They said the collaboration improved over their time in the position.
3. Share! Share the resources, blame and credit. From data collection I feel dance captain are good at sharing especially the credit to the dancers for good work ethos or a great performance. I wonder why dance captains generally have not considered sharing their experiences for others to learn from for example on a Web 2.0 platform as a useful resource for aspiring dance captains.
4. Holding on tight to an idea is safe and small, you never know whats going to happen when you share an idea but including it with the right person it might lead to bigger and better things. I think this is a really important idea which could be dependant on the dance captain feels confident and comfortable in their role of authority, allowing them to achieve more and make an impact in the dance captain position.
5. Teamwork doesn't mean collaboration! Collaboration is is where everyone involved has a voice, everyone is working and contributing towards the same goal and therefore everyone's name is on the product or potentially nobodies. Dance captains are such an important part of the team and success of the production but they are often underappreciated and seen as a 'middle man' how can this be changed?

 I leave this poignant quote from Dr. Shelle to you bloggers 'What each of us can accomplish on our own will fit in the palm of our hand, but that is insignificant compared to what we can accomplish together.'

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Theory- Task 2c

Task 1A -Professional Profile/ CV

Reflecting on my module 2 inquiry planning process