Literature/archival review first approach of the module 2 essay

From the core reading list for module 2 I read the chapter 'The Review of the Literature' (Doing your research project- a guide for first time researchers, Bell, 2005)
The important parts that stood out for me are that...I am the researcher collecting facts that must be select, organised and classified into a coherent pattern = the aim is to produce a critical review, not a list of everything I have read! I will now approach all the articles, interviews, books and blogs I have read with a who, what, why, when to question assumptions and querying claims if no evidence has been provided.
My framework provides a map of how research is conducted and analysed the 5 points below give me ideas about structure for the review, drawing together and summarising my findings and the facts from established artists. 

1. Established dance captains identify what they feel are the most important responsibilities of their job, this helps me to gauge an overview of the field of inquiry. Did I observe the dance captains I have worked with in my professional practice carrying out these duties?

2. Analyse the perspective of established acting dance captains and how they describe their strengths as individuals and personality traits that aid them as a dance captain. - How does a persons personality and dance education impacts the ease dance captains have in the role?

3.Dance captains are hired to maintain the integrity of a show's choreography, therefore I wonder how does the choreographer and director choose the appropriate person to fulfil the role?-  I will look at the perspective a choreographer has on a dance captain and how dance captains understand the responsibility.

4. Another observation when developing my inquiry topic I found interesting, is that dance captains are sometimes swing dancers for the production. How do the positions relate to each other?

5. Dancers who are dance captains for a production have been given the platform allowing a potential to become choreographers or directors for the next stage of their career, I identify how established choreographers, directors, producers and assistant choreographers developed all having their experience as a dance captain in common as a helpful stepping stone to the next level in their career.



Comments

  1. Hi Nicole
    I'm not a dancer but your 5 points are very clear and would be suitable for most performance arts.
    Your comment "the aim is to produce a critical review, not a list of everything that I have read" is important and I will be reminding myself of this.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Reflective Theory- Task 2c

Task 1A -Professional Profile/ CV

Current Networks-Task 3A